Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Heirloom Trunk

While we were out in Montana my dad gave me this cool old trunk. It was made by my great-grandfather, Frank Raymond Koontz for his daughter (my grandma) Ethel Rae Koontz (Childs) when she was a teenager. We are thinking it was built about 1932 or 1933. Her initials are on the front of the chest. It needed a little TLC and some new paint. Since this is going to be Max's new toy box he got to choose the color. We were a little hesitant about the bright green color but it looks really nice. Below are some before and after pictures. 

It was a little beat up and needed a little bit of repair.
Did some sanding, a few nails and screws, some of the pieces are oak I found out the hard way! I have a few broken nails to prove it.
Here is the finished version - we added some bun-feet to it
We also painted the inside to help preserve the wood and give it a clean look. I still need to add a hinge to help keep it open.



1 comment: